Tuesday, September 15, 2009

What is Priviledge?


My Community Work class lecture last week was heavy.We discussed some of the history of American colonialism. Some of this was not new information- though I have to admit, a lot of it was new to me as of last Fall. I don't recall my public school education including the true devastation and genocide which was enacted upon the Indigenous people of this continent (among others) by the colonists. I was taught about the people of the colonies as brave souls who had been religiously oppressed and sought freedom in the "new world." This may very well have been the case, but many terrible atrocities were enacted upon Native Americans by these colonists. I know I'm- sadly- very late to the game, but studying colonization as a whole has really changed my view of what is ultimately an invasion- that being only the beginning- of one group of people into the land and lives of others.
This lecture had begun with a photo of a Native American man, George Gillette, visibly weeping at a treaty signing. I was deeply struck by this photo, and hoped to find it online to include in this post. I did not find it, however, during my search, I came across info about a computer game called: Colonization: Create A New World. So I had to investigate. First I found a few images from the game, such as the one here to the right. Then I read about the game. So I should note, I ended up reading Wikipedia, which I know is not an entirely reliable source, but it seemed to have the most comprehensive info. Here's a quote:

"Relationships must be carefully maintained with Indians and other colonial powers, from waging war and maintaining strategic defenses to offering tributes or "recruiting peacemakers" (Benjamin Franklin and Pocahontas). Destroying native settlements yields a quick profit and makes land available, but prevents the substantial long-term gains to be made by friendly bargaining and trading. Destruction of native settlements also counts against the player's final score." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Colonization)

Ok, so one might think, well, players get more points by behaving 'nicer' to the tribes in this game- it could be worse, right? Well, yeah, it could be. But just the fact that we are so ingrained with acceptance of colonization in this country that it's apparently not a problem to revolve a video game around it is pretty shocking. Which connects with what I was thinking about during the class lecture- we are completely indoctrinated with this stuff!
Now, I want to say, this is not by any means a black and white issue about bad guys and good guys. I would wager a guess that the large majority of European people during the time of the colonies were just trying to make a better life for themselves and their families, not meaning to destroy the lives of others. But that's just it- as it was for them, it is for me today. I have this unearned "priviledge" which is to be able to live my life mostly ignorant of and untouched by not only this history, but of what the U.S. is currently doing all over the world. I get to just 'live my life' and not mean to harm anyone. And yet, my government, that I basically support, since I am not rioting in the streets, daily commits acts of devastation to people, countries, and not to mention the environment. On the flip side, there are countless people, in the U.S. and beyond, who cannot forget these things even if they tried. Their families have been ripped apart, their homes, communities, and ways of life have been permanently scarred, if not destroyed.



1 comment: